Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sphinxes, Arab Swimwear and Hittite Manhood -- Recent Trips

We managed to tear ourselves away from "Rock Band" long enough to go on two relatively short trips. We spent a weekend at a resort on the Meditterranean -- which sounds a lot more luxurious than it really was. Let's just say a five-star hotel rating in Turkey doesn't quite mean the same as in the States. It was a fun weekend though -- the kids spent pretty much the entire weekend in the water, and it was great to kick back and relax. Highlights included swimming with the female Arab tourists (who wore long sleeves, pants and head scarves into the water --mrrrreow!); wrestling for the last grilled chicken breast with the Turkish dude who already had five or six on his plate; and cleaning out all of the cracker crumbs, crushed cookies, and empty sippy cups littering the car once we got home. Emily also enjoyed hanging out at the beach with a Turkish lady who looked like she was going into labor any second and her 4- or 5-year-old naked boy.

On Labor Day, we headed for the mountains -- hoping to escape the 100-degree temperatures and stifling smoke from all of the farmers burning their fields. We visited a national park about an hour from here -- it wasn't quite Yosemite or Yellowstone, but it was definitely cooler than the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Ohio (for those of you who have been there know what I mean). In the midst of pine forests and perched above a lake are the ruins of Karatepe -- an ancient Hittite/Phoenician palace. Archeologists have unearthed dozens of bas relief sculptures depicting the king's benevolence, the Hittite gods, and their, um, manhood. There also were large sculptures of lions and sphinxes, and 4-foot-tall tablets of hieroglyphics. The Turkish government actually has done a great job of preserving the site (normally not the case here). The kids had a fun time pretending to be young Indiana Joneses . . . in between whining about having to walk "so far."



3 comments:

Mike and Kelly said...

What a fun trip. Emily- you look great, I love your jewelry. I always love to read your commentary on your trips (mrrreow!). It sound like a weekend from the "band" was worth it. Although I don't know what the Smashing Pumpkins did with out their lead singers.

mini-wheats said...

I agree with Kelly! Emily looks awesome and her jewelry is sweet! hahaha!I can't believe how fast your kids are growing!!!!

linda barrett said...

I like Shane's rockies hat. It looks like a fun get away!