Sunday, May 4, 2008

Trip to Germany: Take the Assmannshausen Ausfahrt

Sensing that Emily needed a break from the kids and the Third World, I recently surprised her with a trip to Germany. OK, so it wasn't a surprise. And sure, it wasn't even really my idea. But it was still a trip to Germany for five days. We ditched the kids with our good friends, Dave and Brandi, jumped on a plane and about 12 hours later we were back in modern civilization. Highlights included arguing with the German airport shuttle driver, who was over an hour late, drinking water from the tap, and being around people who wear deodorant. Emily also enjoyed shopping, eating many different kinds of pork products, and hanging out with her studly, muscular husband who made lots and lots of jokes about the German word for "freeway exit": ausfahrt.



We spent one day on a Rhine River cruise. Fortunately, we were spared the industrial regions of the Rhine Valley and instead got to see many of the castles and vinyards that line the river. We also floated past the town of Assmannshausen, which of course prompted several sophisticated jokes -- mostly from Emily. It was a nice way to pass a day -- most importantly, it was quiet and Emily didn't spend the afternoon worried that Rowan would try to go for a swim. At the end of the cruise, we ate at a tradional German restaurant, where we got to experience both authentic schnitzel and German customer service ("Here. Eat. Goodbye. Ausfahrt.").



Upon returning home, Dave and Brandi promised to still be friends with us. While the kids apparently had a great time, Blythe was so happy to see Emily that she immediately burst into tears. Rowan and Liam acted nonchalant like the teenagers-in-waiting they've become. In fact, Liam was most excited by the German PlayMobil catalog we brought back: "Whoa! They have an EGYPTIANS set! I'm totally going to order it with my allowance!" I didn't have the heart to explain the weak dollar to him. I did, however, teach him the German word for "freeway exit." He's still giggling . . .

6 comments:

Mike and Kelly said...

Oh, I am so jealous! I wish I could leave my kids for 5 days in Germany. Maybe you will get stationed there next, and by then we will hopefully be able to afford a trip somewhere that does not consist of a 16 hour drive. (Getting out of Tejas takes a while, unless you can fly.) Sounds like a fun time.

P.S. Ausfahrted! Just Kidding!

linda barrett said...

Kelly wants to leave her kids in Germany? What kind of a sick mother is that? They could be annshausened & how do you ever recover from that?
It looks like you had a great time.
By the way it won't let me leave a comment on Liam's blog. Was that intentional?

mini-wheats said...

Liam has a blog? I want in! I wish I could visit Germany too! I always heard about how awesome it was from my German teacher in high school!

Davem said...

Shane,

How proud you make me with your increasing levels of maturity - it makes a father proud. You know I am kidding as my level is about the level I see in your writing! I can find humor in many ways your Mom cannot and then can regale her all day with giggling about what I said - I sure make myself laugh! For those have not gone, if you can Turkey is such a great experience - yes it takes planes, trains, buses, camels, and then a moped to get to Adana but once you have slept off the 24 hour jet lag sure is great to be there. I must say even one day away from the children (when you guys were young) was great but then we had to come back - at least your Mom insisted!

Love,

Dad

linda barrett said...

Happy Birthday to Rowan & Emily! I tried to call yesterday & today but no answer. I figured either your internet was down or you were out having fun. Love you, Mom

Unknown said...

I'm also giggling about the word "ausfahrt".